So near and yet…

The competitors in the Robertshaw Cup Tournament held at Broadwas last week.

John Guy reports on a big tournament hosted at Stoney Ley this week.

Broadwas were just pipped at the post this week when the club hosted the Robertshaw Cup Tournament. This year, the annual one-day tournament was fought out by the four teams which topped the West Midlands Golf Croquet League in 2023.

This year’s competing teams were Eardisley, Himley, Kenilworth and Broadwas, last year’s champions.

Jon Carrington hoops his yellow during his doubles match with Stuart Smith against Eardisley.

The format of the competition ensures that each three member team plays all other teams in the tournament, with each match comprising of six games of three doubles and three singles games contested on a first-to-five basis, with a 40 minute time limit.

‘The Broadwas Three’ (sounds like a gang of criminals) comprised team captain Jon Carrington, Stuart Smith and Billy Nicholson (definitely a group of crooks).

The team started off in tremendous fashion when they beat Eardisley 6-0 and then followed it up by going into a 2-0 lead against Kenilworth, who had previously been beaten 4-2 by Himley in the other morning match of the day.

Billy Nicholson on the way to hooping his blue during his match against Nigel Pigdon of Kenilworth.

After lunch, there was a general reversal in fortunes, with both of the morning’s losing teams fighting back to win their matches, with Kenilworth beating Broadwas 4-2 and Eardisley beating Himley 5-1. With each team having one match win and one loss to their name, it left everything to play for in the final round.

Stuart Smith on the way to clearing black with his red, during his doubles match with Jon Carrington, against Eardisley.

After four games of the final round of matches, the scores were ALL 2-2, so there was still everything to fight for.

The match between Broadwas and Himley ended in a 3-3 draw, but Broadwas were awarded the win based on hoop difference.

In the other match, Kenilworth eased past Eardisley only after two very tight games, eventually winning 4-2. At the end of the final round, both Kenilworth and Broadwas had two wins, but Kenilworth won the tournament, having beaten Broadwas in their head-to-head.

The victorious Kenilworth team, Nigel Pigdon (left), Philip Wood (centre) and Mervyn Harvey
Tournament manager John Guy presents the Robertshaw Cup to Kenilworth Captain Philip Wood

Tournament organiser John Guy presented the trophy to the Kenilworth captain Philip Wood. Philip will have the dubious pleasure of organising the tournament next year.

John Guy